Memorial Day can mean an array of things to different people. For some, the roughly 150-year-old celebration
honors both those who have or currently are fighting for our nation’s freedoms. To others, this past weekend simply meant an extra day or so off from work to grill out with family and friends.
RELATED: 6 ways PR is like grilling out
For filmmakers and movie studios in Hollywood, however, the holiday marks the unofficial start of summer, as well as the official start of the summer blockbuster season.
And this summer, theatergoers have just as much to look forward to
With this year’s Memorial Day weekend already breaking records
, I was feeling a bit nostalgic and wanted to revisit one of the all-time classic summer blockbusters: “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”
From Harrison Ford’s famous smirk to composer John William’s iconic “raiders march” this movie will never go out of style.
RELATED: Become a more efficient writer and editor after one day of training.
In honor of summer blockbusters past and present, here are my favorite lines from “Raiders”:
• “I’m going after a find of incredible historical significance, you’re talking about the boogie man. Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am.” — Indiana Jones
• “You Americans, you’re all the same. Always overdressing for the wrong occasions.” — Major Arnold Toht
• “I don’t know what kind of people you’re used to dealing with, but nobody tells me what to do in my place.” — Marion Ravenwood
• “Well Jones, at least you haven’t forgotten how to show a lady a good time.” — Marion Ravenwood
• “Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?” — Indiana Jones
• “I don’t know. I’m making this up as I go.” — Indiana Jones
• “You want to talk to God? Let’s go see him together. I’ve got nothing better to do.” — Indiana Jones
• “It’s not the years, honey, it’s the mileage.” — Indiana Jones
readers, what are some of your favorite summer blockbusters? What are the best lines?
Laura Hale Brockway is a medical writer and editor from Austin, Texas. She is also the author of the writing/editing/random thoughts blog, impertinentremarks.com.