When my wife and I got married, we joked briefly about creating a hashtag for our wedding. We laughed it off as absurd, because it is.
It’s so ridiculous, in fact, that the W Hotels in New York are charging $3,000 to do it on couples’ behalf.
That deal will get couples a “social media wedding concierge,” who will provide the following services during their special day:
• Live-tweeting of the ceremony and reception
• Instagram photos and videos, as well as Vine videos
• Curating a unique wedding hashtag
• Encouraging guests to “utilize” (not use, “utilize”) the hashtag as they post to social media
• Set up and maintenance of wedding blog before and after the day
• Curating registry wish list and dream honeymoon Pinterest boards to inspire couple
• A wedding social media recap for the couple, including a Shutterfly book complete with social media highlights from the planning process and a collage of the best tweets and Instagrams sent during the wedding
While you’re at it, why not drop an extra several grand to have your wedding become a sponsored trending hashtag? Why don’t you just cut out the middle man and have the bride and groom bring their smartphones to the altar?
[RELATED: Join us at Walt Disney World Resort in April for Ragan's biggest social media conference to date!]
Someone out there will pay for this. Someone is going to pay $3,000 for someone to come up with a crummy wedding hashtag. Let that sink in.